Abarim Publications' online Biblical Hebrew Dictionary
The verb אסף (asap), means to gather or collect, and is most commonly either associated with the harvest or a gathering of men (Genesis 29:22, Exodus 3:16, Isaiah 10:14). It may also mean to gather up or remove (1 Samuel 14:19, Isaiah 57:1, Judges 19:15). The familiar phrase "he was gathered to his people" as an interpretation of a person's dying is also constructed through this verb (Genesis 25:8, Deuteronomy 32:50).
This root's derivatives are:
- The masculine noun אסף (osep), meaning gathering (of summer fruit: Micah 7:1; of locusts Isaiah 33:4).
- The masculine noun אסיף (asip), meaning ingathering or harvest (Exodus 23:16 and 34:22 only).
- The masculine noun אסף (asop), meaning what is gathered, or store (1 Chronicles 26:15).
- The feminine noun אספה (asepa), meaning a collection or gathering (Isaiah 24:22 only).
- The similar feminine noun אספה (assupa), meaning collection (Ecclesiastes 12:11 only).
- The masculine noun אספסף (asapsup), meaning collection, rabble (Numbers 11:4 only).
Note the similarities between our verb אסף (asap) and the cluster ספף סוף ספה (spp swp sph).