Abarim Publications' online Biblical Hebrew Dictionary
The root-verb קום (qum) generally means to rise up or stand. It's used in all the expected ways, from getting up from a prostrate position (Exodus 21:19, Joshua 3:16), a kneeling position (1 Kings 8:54) or sitting position (Genesis 25:34). It may indicate the start of a journey (Deuteronomy 17:8), a paying attention (Numbers 23:18), a giving testimony (Deuteronomy 19:15).
This verb is used when items are set up (idols - Leviticus 26:1), or when one assumes an office or position: that of leader (Genesis 37:7), prophet (Deuteronomy 34:10), judge (Judges 10:1). Thus this verb also used when a covenant is established (Exodus 6:4) or maintained (Isaiah 28:16). This verb is also frequently used in a military sense of rising up against someone or some army (Judges 7:15, Exodus 2:17). In conjunction with God, this verb often occurs in a plea for God to rise up against enemies (Psalm 3:7).
As shown in Mark 5:41, this verb also exists in Aramaic. Jesus uses it when He raises Jairus' daughter from the dead by saying, "talitha kum".
The derivatives of this verb are:
- The feminine noun קמה (qoma) or קומה (qoma), meaning height; of people (1 Samuel 16:7), of a tree (2 Kings 19:23), or of buildings (1 Kings 6:2, Jeremiah 52:21).
- The feminine noun קמה (qama), denoting standing grain (Exodus 22:5, Judges 15:5).
- The masculine noun קים (qim), meaning adversary; i.e. someone who rises up against someone (Job 22:20 only; BDB Theological Dictionary deems this text corrupt).
- The feminine noun קימה (qima), meaning a rising up (Lamentations 3:63 only).
- The feminine noun קיממיות (qommiyut), meaning uprightness (Leviticus 26:13 only).
- The masculine noun יקום (yequm), meaning substance or existence (Genesis 7:4, 7:23 and Deuteronomy 11:6 only).
- The feminine noun תקומה (tequma), denoting an ability or power to stand (Leviticus 26:37 and Psalm 139:21 only).
- The masculine noun מקום (maqom), denoting some set location, place to stand or station (Genesis 18:24, Exodus 21:13, Joshua 8:19).