🔼The name Jahaziel in the Bible
In the Bible there are five men named Jahaziel:
- One of king David's mighty-men who came to him at Ziklag (1 Chronicles 12:4).
- One of the two Levites who blew their trumpets in front of the Ark of the Covenant when it was stationed in the tabernacle of David (1 Chronicles 16:6). His colleague's name is Benaiah.
- The third son of Hebron, the son of Kohath (1 Chronicles 23:19).
- A son of Zechariah, son of Benaiah of Levi who addresses Jerusalem and king Jehoshaphat in regard to a siege by Moab, Ammon and the Meunites (2 Chronicles 20:14).
- The father of Shecaniah, who led 300 family members from Babylon to Judah during the return under Ezra (Ezra 8:5).
🔼Etymology of the name Jahaziel
The name Jahaziel consists of two elements. The first part of our name comes from the root group חזה (hzh I & II):
For a meaning of the name Jahaziel, NOBSE Study Bible Name List reads God Sees and BDB Theological Dictionary proposes the similar El Sees. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names, always slightly more dramatic, suggests He Will Be Seen Of God.