🔼The name Jehoiada in the Bible
There are five men named Jehoiada in the Bible:
- The father of David's hero Benaiah (2 Samuel 8:18).
- A son of the same Benaiah (1 Chronicles 27:34).
- A military leader of the house of Aaron who joined David at Hebron (1 Chronicles 12:27).
- The high priest who helped Jehosheba save Joash the son of Ahaziah (2 Kings 11:4).
- A priest in the time of Jeremiah (Jeremiah 29:26).
Also: the name Joiada is a contracted form of the name Jehoiada.
🔼Etymology of the name Jehoiada
The name Jehoiada consists of two parts:
The first part of the name is the appellative יה (Yah) = יהו (Yahu) = יו (Yu), which in turn are abbreviated forms of the Tetragrammaton יהוה, YHWH, or Yahweh.
The second part of the name Jehoiada comes from the root-verb ידע (yada'), meaning to know:
For a meaning of the name Jehoiada, NOBSE Study Bible Name List reads Yahweh Knows. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names has the similar The Lord Knows.