🔼The name Uzzi in the Bible
The name Uzzi is applied to six men in the Bible:
- The son of Bukki, who is the son of Abishua, who is the son of Phinehas, who is the son of Eleazar, who was the son of Aaron, the brother of Moses and Miriam (1 Chronicles 6:5). This Uzzi is an ancestor of Ezra the reformer (Ezra 7:4).
- The first born son of Tola, the first born of Issachar (1 Chronicles 7:2).
- The first born son of Bela, the first born son of Benjamin. This Uzzi's brother is named Uzziel (1 Chronicles 7:7.
- A Benjaminite (1 Chronicles 9:8).
- An overseer of the Levites in Jerusalem (Nehemiah 11:22).
- A priestly family head (Nehemiah 12:19).
🔼Etymology of the name Uzzi
The name Uzzi comes from the Hebrew verb עזז ('azaz), generally meaning to be strong:
Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names thinks that the name Uzzi is an abbreviated form of the name Uzziah, and that thus the letter yod upon which the name Uzzi ends is a remnant of the appellative יה (Yah) = יהו (Yahu) = יו (Yu), which are abbreviated forms of the Tetragrammaton יהוה, YHWH, or Yahweh. Hence Jones translates the name Uzzi with Power Of The Lord.
NOBSE Study Bible Name List doesn't agree with that and sees the final yod as a possessive, and reads My Strength.