🔼The name Zebadiah in the Bible
The name Zebadiah is among the most popular in the Bible. There are up to nine men listed with that name, not counting the Greek version Zebedee or any of the truncated forms listed below.
The Zebadiahs of the Bible are:
- A son of Beriah of Benjamin (1 Chronicles 8:15).
- A son of Elpaal of Benjamin (1 Chronicles 8:17).
- One of two sons of Jeroham of Gedor and brother of Joelah. Both men joined David at Ziklag (1 Chronicles 12:1-7).
- A gatekeeper and the third son of Meshelemiah, son of Kore of Asaph (1 Chronicles 26:2).
- A military sub-commander and son of Asahel, the brother of Joab (1 Chronicles 27:7).
- A Levite teacher in service of king Jehoshaphat of Judah (2 Chronicles 17:8).
- A son of Ishmael of Judah (2 Chronicles 19:11).
- A son of Michael who joined Ezra in the return from exile (Ezra 8:8).
- A son of Immer who pledged to divorce his foreign wife (Ezra 10:20).
🔼Etymology of the name Zebadiah
The name Zebadiah consists of two elements; the final part comes from יה (Yah) = יהו (Yahu) = יו (Yu), which in turn are abbreviated forms of the Tetragrammaton; the name of the Lord: YHWH.
The first part of the name Zebadiah comes from the verb זבד (zabad), meaning to give:
For a meaning of the name Zebadiah, NOBSE Study Bible Name List reads Yahweh Has Bestowed. BDB Theological Dictionary proposes Yah Hath Bestowed. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names has Gift Of The Lord.