🔼The name Zabad: Summary
- From the verb זבד (zabad), to give.
🔼The name Zabad in the Bible
There are seven men named Zabad in the Bible:
- A son of Nathan of Judah and father of Ephlal (1 Chronicles 2:37).
- A son of Ephraim (1 Chronicles 7:21).
- A son of Ahlai and mighty-man of David (1 Chronicles 11:41).
- A son of Shimeath and one of the two assassins of king Joash (2 Chronicles 24:26 — the other's name is Jehozabad and Zabad is called Jozabad in 2 Kings 12:21).
- And three men who divorced their foreign wives during the purge of Ezra:
🔼Etymology of the name Zabad
Our name Zabad comes from the verb זבד (zabad), meaning to give or bestow:
For a meaning of the name Zabad, NOBSE Study Bible Name List suggests Gift. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names proposes Given, and BDB Theological Dictionary translates with He Hath Given or A Gift.