🔼The name Izri: Summary
- From the verb יצר (yasar), to fashion or form.
🔼The name Izri in the Bible
The one and only Izri of the Bible is a son of the famous musician Jeduthun, who caught the fourth lot when the musician's duties were dispensed during the reign of king David (1 Chronicles 25:11). In 1 Chronicles 25:3, he is called צרי (Zeri).
Note that the name Izri is identical to the ethnonym Jezerite.
🔼Etymology of the name Izri
The etymology of the name Izri can be traced to the following root cluster, and most likely to the verb יצר (yasar), meaning to fashion or form:
- Verb צור (sur I) probably means to lean or incline. Noun צואר (sawwa'r) means neck and צורון (sawwaron) means necklace.
- Verb צור (sur II) means to confine, secure or besiege. Noun מצור (masor) means siege and מצורה (mesura) means stronghold. This verb relates to verb צרר (sarar I).
- Verb צור (sur III) means to be an adversary. It relates to צרר (sarar II).
- Verb צור (sur IV) means to form or fashion. Noun צורה (sura) means form and noun ציר (sir) means image. This verb relates to יצר (yasar).
- Verb צור (sur V) probably relates to verb צרר (sarar III) and probably means to be sharp. The important noun צור (sur) means rock, and is equivalent to the Greek noun πετρα (petra), from which comes the name Peter.
- Verb צרר (sarar I) means to bind and relates to צור (sur II). Adjective צר (sar) means narrow. Nouns צר (sar) and צרה (sara) mean distress and yield denominative verb צרה (sara), meaning to suffer distress. Noun צרור (seror) means bundle or parcel. Noun מצר (mesar) means distress.
- Verb צרר (sarar II) means to show hostility and relates to verb צור (sur III). Noun צר (sar) means adversary. Noun צרה (sara) means vexer or rival-wife. Denominative verb צרר (sarar) means to create a rival wife.
- Verb צרר (sarar III) probably means to be sharp and relates to צור (sur V). Nouns צר (sar), צר (sor) and צרור (seror) mean flint or pebble.
Verb יצר (yasar) means to fashion or form and relates to צור (sur IV). Noun יצר (yeser) denotes that what is formed, and noun יצרים (yesurim) means forms or members.
Verb צרה (srh) probably describes the bleeding of an odoriferous tree. Noun צרי (sari) denotes a kind of costly balsam.
The letter י (yod) upon which our name ends, may either create an adjective (rocky), a possessive form (my form), or may be a remnant of יה (Yah) = יהו (Yahu) = יו (Yu), which in turn are abbreviated forms of the Tetragrammaton יהוה, YHWH, or Yahweh.
For a meaning of the name Izri, NOBSE Study Bible Name List reads Fashioner. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names deems the final yod to be the mark of a possessive form and proposes The Form Of "i.e. his parents". BDB Theological Dictionary does not translate the name Izri but does list it under the verb יצר (yasar), meaning to fashion or form.