🔼The name Zeror: Summary
- From the noun צרור (seror), bundle or parcel, from the verb צרר (sarar I), to bind.
- From the noun צרור (seror), pebble, from the root צרר (sarar III), to be sharp.
🔼The name Zeror in the Bible
The one and only Zeror in the Bible is the grandfather of Kish and the great-grandfather of Saul of Benjamin, who became king Saul of Israel (1 Samuel 9:1). This Zeror plays no further part in the Bible.
🔼Etymology of the name Zeror
The name Zeror is identical to the noun צרור (seror), meaning bundle or parcel, from the verb צרר (sarar I), meaning to bind, but it's also the same as the noun צרור (seror), meaning pebble, from the root צרר (sarar III), meaning to be sharp:
- Verb צור (sur I) probably means to lean or incline. Noun צואר (sawwa'r) means neck and צורון (sawwaron) means necklace.
- Verb צור (sur II) means to confine, secure or besiege. Noun מצור (masor) means siege and מצורה (mesura) means stronghold. This verb relates to verb צרר (sarar I).
- Verb צור (sur III) means to be an adversary. It relates to צרר (sarar II).
- Verb צור (sur IV) means to form or fashion. Noun צורה (sura) means form and noun ציר (sir) means image. This verb relates to יצר (yasar).
- Verb צור (sur V) probably relates to verb צרר (sarar III) and probably means to be sharp. The important noun צור (sur) means rock, and is equivalent to the Greek noun πετρα (petra), from which comes the name Peter.
- Verb צרר (sarar I) means to bind and relates to צור (sur II). Adjective צר (sar) means narrow. Nouns צר (sar) and צרה (sara) mean distress and yield denominative verb צרה (sara), meaning to suffer distress. Noun צרור (seror) means bundle or parcel. Noun מצר (mesar) means distress.
- Verb צרר (sarar II) means to show hostility and relates to verb צור (sur III). Noun צר (sar) means adversary. Noun צרה (sara) means vexer or rival-wife. Denominative verb צרר (sarar) means to create a rival wife.
- Verb צרר (sarar III) probably means to be sharp and relates to צור (sur V). Nouns צר (sar), צר (sor) and צרור (seror) mean flint or pebble.
Verb יצר (yasar) means to fashion or form and relates to צור (sur IV). Noun יצר (yeser) denotes that what is formed, and noun יצרים (yesurim) means forms or members.
Verb צרה (srh) probably describes the bleeding of an odoriferous tree. Noun צרי (sari) denotes a kind of costly balsam.
For a meaning of the name Zeror, both NOBSE Study Bible Name List and Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names go with the noun צרור (seror), meaning bundle or parcel. Hence NOBSE reads Bundle, and Jones reads Small Bundle.
BDB Theological Dictionary doesn't offer an interpretation of the name Zeror, but lists it directly under the noun צרור (seror), meaning Pebble. That means that the name Zeror could be regarded as one of the synonyms of the Greek name Peter.