🔼The name Jeshua: Summary
- Salvation, Saved
- From the verb ישע (yasha'), to save.
🔼The name Jeshua in the Bible
The name Jeshua is a shortened form of the name Joshua (יהושע) and this shortened form Jeshua occurs in the later Scriptures (see Nehemiah 8:17 for a Jeshua the son of Nun, who is doubtlessly Joshua the successor of Moses — Numbers 13:16).
Other men named Jeshua are (and the following probably overlap a bit):
- A Levite who dealt with voluntary offerings (2 Chronicles 31:15).
- A leader among the returnees under Zerubbabel (Ezra 2:6).
- A leader of a priestly clan (Ezra 2:36).
- The father of one of the wall's repairers (Nehemiah 3:19).
- One of the first rabbis installed by Ezra (Nehemiah 8:7).
- Then there is a high priest named Jeshua who is mentioned by Ezra (2:2) and Zechariah (3:1) and Haggai who names him Joshua (1:1). Nehemiah mentions this Jeshua among the kohanim who return with Zerubbabel (Nehemiah 12:1). This Jeshua is a bit mysterious because although he's fit to travel, he is father of Joiakim, grandfather of Eliashib, great-grandfather of Joiada, great-great-grandfather of Jonathan, and great-great-great-grandfather of Jaddua (12:10-11). But it seems likely that this Jeshua was still alive because only Jeshua (son of Azaniah) is mentioned among the signers of the sealed document, and one would certainly expect a high priest on that list.
- And finally, there is also a town in Judah named Jeshua, which is mentioned in Nehemiah 11:26.
🔼Etymology of the name Jeshua
The name Jeshua comes from the word group that starts with the verb ישע (yasha'), meaning to save or deliver:
The verb ישע (yasha') means to be unrestricted and thus to be free and thus to be saved (from restriction, from oppression and thus from ultimate demise). A doer of this verb is a savior. Nouns ישועה (yeshua), ישע (yesha') and תשועה (teshua) mean salvation. Adjective שוע (shoa') means (financially) independent, freed in an economic sense.
Verb שוע (shawa') means to cry out (for salvation). Nouns שוע (shua'), שוע (shoa') and שועה (shawa) mean a cry (for salvation).
The name Jeshua is the name Joshua without the yah-part, and means Salvation or Saved.