🔼The name Uzziel: Summary
- God Is My Strength, Strength Of God
- From (1) the verb עזז ('azaz), to be strong, and (2) the word אל ('el), God.
🔼The name Uzziel in the Bible
The name Uzziel is assigned to five different men in the Bible:
- The first Uzziel we meet is a son of Kohath, the son of Levi (Exodus 6:18). This Uzziel is the patriarch of the Uzzielite sub-clan (Numbers 3:27).
- The Simeonite captain and son of Ishi who destroyed the last of the Amalekites (1 Chronicles 4:42).
- The son of Harhaiah, who was a gold smith working on the second temple (Nehemiah 3:8).
- The son of Bela, the son of Benjamin (1 Chronicles 7:7).
- One of fourteen sons of Heman and a musician in the temple service at the time of king David (1 Chronicles 25:4). This Uzziel appears to be named Aziel in 1 Chronicles 15:20 and Azarel in 1 Chronicles 25:18.
🔼Etymology of the name Uzziel
In names אל ('el) usually refers to אלהים ('elohim), that is Elohim, or God, also known as אלה ('eloah). In English, the words 'God' and 'god' exclusively refer to the deity but in Hebrew the words אל ('l) and אלה ('lh) are far more common and may express approach and negation, acts of wailing and pointing, and may even mean oak or terebinth.
The first part of the name Uzziel comes from the Hebrew verb עזז ('azaz), meaning to be strong:
The verb עזז ('azaz) means to be strong. Adjective עז ('az) means strong, mighty or fierce and adjective עזוז ('izzuz) means mighty or powerful. Nouns עז ('oz) and עזוז ('ezuz) mean strength, might or fierceness.
Noun עזניה ('ozniya) denotes some kind of bird of prey (this word may actually be a convenient import from another language) and noun עז ('ez) denotes a she-goat (this word may actually derive from a verb that means to be wayward or perhaps strong-headed).
Verb עוז ('uz) means to bring into refuge or to seek safety. Noun מעוז (ma'oz) describes a place or agent of safety.
The yod in the middle is probably a possessive; my strength, or strength of.
For a meaning of the name Uzziel, NOBSE Study Bible Name List reads God Is My Strength. BDB Theological Dictionary reads My Strength Is El. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names has Strength Of God.
A famous modern bearer of this name is Uziel Gal — whose name is commonly transliterated with only one z, but which is identical to the Biblical name Uzziel. Uziel Gal is the designer of the notorious Uzi weapon.