🔼The name Nethanel in the Bible
The Nethanels of the Bible are:
- A son of Zuar and leader of Issachar (Numbers 1:8).
- Jesse's fourth son (1 Chronicles 2:14).
- A Levite trumpeter (1 Chronicles 15:24).
- The father of a Levite scribe (1 Chronicles 24:6).
- Obed-edom's fifth son (1 Chronicles 26:4).
- A teacher in Judah (2 Chronicles 17:7).
- A Levite officer (2 Chronicles 35:9).
- One among the priests who divorced their foreign wives under the purge of Ezra (Ezra 10:22).
- A priest in Joiakim's time (Nehemiah 12:21).
- A Levite musician (Nehemiah 12:36).
🔼Etymology of the name Nethanel
The name Nethanel is a compilation of the two elements, the final one being אל, El, the common abbreviation of Elohim:
The first part of the name Nethanel comes from the verb נתן (natan), meaning to give:
The name Nethanel means God Has Given (according to NOBSE Study Bible Name List) or Given of the Lord (according to Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names).