🔼The name Ammiel: Summary
- My Kinsman Is God, One Of The People Of God
- From (1) the noun עם ('am), either (paternal) kinsman or people, and (2) the word אל ('el), God.
🔼The name Ammiel in the Bible
There are four men named Ammiel in the Bible:
- The first Ammiel we meet is one of the spies who Moses sends out to scout out Canaan, Negev, Hebron and other places (Numbers 13:12). Ammiel, son of Gemalli, comes out for the tribe of Dan. For Ephraim comes out a man named Hosea, but Moses renames him Joshua (Numbers 13:8 and 13:16).
- Another Ammiel appears in the story of Mephibosheth, the crippled son of Jonathan and the last remaining descendant of king Saul. He was hidden in the house of Machir, son of Ammiel of Lo-debar (2 Samuel 9:4).
- The third Ammiel is the father of Bath-shua, the wife of David and mother of Shimea, Shobab, Nathan and Solomon (1 Chronicles 3:5). In 2 Samuel 11:3 she is called Bathsheba and her father is called Eliam.
- Ammiel number four is son number six of eight sons of Obed-edom, one of David's gatekeepers (1 Chronicles 26:5).
🔼Etymology of the name Ammiel
The name Ammiel consists of two parts. The first part of the name Ammiel comes from the assumed Hebrew root עמם:
The verb עמם ('mm) probably expressed to be inclusive or comprehensive. Its rare uses in the Bible relate to making secrets or making info available to an in-crowd. Preposition עם ('im) means 'with', מעם (me'im) means 'from', and עמה ('umma) means 'beside'. Noun עם ('am) means a people, ranging from all of mankind to the in-crowd of a small village. Noun עם ('am) refers to one's (paternal) kinsman.
In names אל ('el) usually refers to אלהים ('elohim), that is Elohim, or God, also known as אלה ('eloah). In English, the words 'God' and 'god' exclusively refer to the deity but in Hebrew the words אל ('l) and אלה ('lh) are far more common and may express approach and negation, acts of wailing and pointing, and may even mean oak or terebinth.
For a meaning of the name Ammiel, BDB Theological Dictionary and NOBSE Study Bible Name List both prefer to translate the word am with kinsman and read My Kinsman Is God. Alfred Jones (Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names) prefers to translate it with people, and reads One Of The People Of God.