🔼The name Shimei: Summary
- Renown, Famous
- From the verb שמע (shama'), to hear.
🔼The name Shimei in the Bible
The name Shimei is among the most popular in the Bible. People named Shimei are:
- A son of Gershon (Exodus 6:17).
- A Benjaminite who pesters David (2 Samuel 16:5).
- A brother of David, mostly known as Shimea (2 Samuel 21:21) and also called Shammah (1 Samuel 16:9).
- A faithful follower of Solomon (1 Kings 1:8).
- A brother of Zerubbabel (1 Chronicles 3:19).
- A Simeonite (1 Chronicles 4:26).
- A son of Merari (1 Chronicles 6:29).
- A Kohathite (1 Chronicles 6:42).
- A Benjaminite family head (1 Chronicles 8:21).
- What seems to be two Gershonite family heads, one with three sons and the other with four sons (1 Chronicles 23:7, see 23:9 and 23:10).
- A Levite prophet-musician in David's time (1 Chronicles 25:3).
- A Ramathite, who was an overseer of the vineyards under David (1 Chronicles 27:27).
- A Levite who helps to clean and purify the temple (2 Chronicles 29:14).
- A Levite second-treasurer during Hezekiah's reign (2 Chronicles 31:12).
- An ancestor of Mordecai (Esther 2:5).
- An ancestor of Christ according to the Lucan genealogy through David's son Nathan (Luke 3:26). In Greek this name is spelled Σεμει, Semei, which most modern translations interpret as Semein. It's a Greek transliteration or Hellenized version of the Hebrew name Shimei.
🔼Etymology of the name Shimei
The name Shimei comes from the verb שמע (shama'), meaning to hear:
The verb שמע (shama') means to hear and may also mean to understand or obey. Noun שמע (shema') means sound. Nouns שמע (shoma') and שמועה (shemu'a) mean tidings, report or mentions. Noun השמעות (hashma'ut) describes that which is caused to be heard. Noun משמע (mishma') means rumor or a thing heard. Noun משמעת (mishma'at) refers to a group or listeners.
For a meaning of the name Shimei, NOBSE Study Bible Name List reads Renown. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names has Famous.