🔼The name Shimei in the Bible
The name Shimei is among the most popular in the Bible. People named Shimei are:
- A son of Gershon (Exodus 6:17).
- A Benjaminite who pesters David (2 Samuel 16:5).
- A brother of David, mostly known as Shimea (2 Samuel 21:21) and also called Shammah (1 Samuel 16:9).
- A faithful follower of Solomon (1 Kings 1:8).
- A brother of Zerubbabel (1 Chronicles 3:19).
- A Simeonite (1 Chronicles 4:26).
- A son of Merari (1 Chronicles 6:29).
- A Kohathite (1 Chronicles 6:42).
- A Benjaminite family head (1 Chronicles 8:21).
- What seems to be two Gershonite family heads, one with three sons and the other with four sons (1 Chronicles 23:7, see 23:9 and 23:10).
- A Levite prophet-musician in David's time (1 Chronicles 25:3).
- A Ramathite, who was an overseer of the vineyards under David (1 Chronicles 27:27).
- A Levite who helps to clean and purify the temple (2 Chronicles 29:14).
- A Levite second-treasurer during Hezekiah's reign (2 Chronicles 31:12).
- An ancestor of Mordecai (Esther 2:5).
- An ancestor of Christ according to the Lucan genealogy through David's son Nathan (Luke 3:26). In Greek this name is spelled Σεμει, Semei, which most modern translations interpret as Semein. It's a Greek transliteration or Hellenized version of the Hebrew name Shimei.
🔼Etymology of the name Shimei
The name Shimei comes from the verb שמע (shama'), meaning to hear:
For a meaning of the name Shimei, NOBSE Study Bible Name List reads Renown. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names has Famous.