🔼The name Jerimoth in the Bible
There are eight men in the Bible with the name Jerimoth (and three more with the highly similar name ירמות — Jeremoth). The Jeremoths of the Bible are:
- A son of Bela, the first-born of Benjamin (1 Chronicles 7:7).
- A son of Becher, the second son of Benjamin (1 Chronicles 7:8).
- A mighty-man of David who came to him in Ziklag (1 Chronicles 12:5).
- A son of Mushi, son of Merari, son of Levi (1 Chronicles 23:23).
- A son of Heman and brother of Joshbekashah (1 Chronicles 25:4).
- A son of Azriel and chief of Naphtali (1 Chronicles 27:19).
- A son of king David and father of Mahalath, the wife of king Rehoboam (2 Chronicles 11:18).
- A priest who helped clean up the temple during the reformations of king Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 31:13).
🔼Etymology and meaning of the name Jerimoth
The name Jerimoth has to do with רם (rum), meaning height:
NOBSE Study Bible Name List offers no translation for Jerimoth but reads Elevation for Jeremoth. Jones' Dictionary of Old Testament Proper Names proposes High Places or Liftings Up for both Jeremoth and Jerimoth.
However, it seems that this name contains something of a play on words. Jerimoth can also be seen as being drawn from the verb ירה (yara), meaning to cast or shoot:
And secondly, from the verb מות (mut), meaning to kill or die:
And that means that the name Jeremoth may also be seen as to mean Rain Of Death.